My Website:

My Website:
Click to access my website

My Music Video

Tuesday 9 October 2018

POST 6: MY ARTIST PROFILE

From the brief, I was tasked with creating a new fictional dance artist/band and although this was a genre I liked before starting this project, I was certain to spend a lot of time researching into the genre before I began my planning process. I looked into female dance artists' personas, researching into their genre of music within the overarching dance genre in addition to their fashion style and overall brand identity.


Research & Inspirations
Soon into my research into the dance music genre, I realised how overarching the genre is, ranging from electronic to disco and hip-hop to dance-pop as well as everything in between.

In order to create my artist, I first researched into a variety of female artists in the whole spectrum of dance music before having a few key influences. I sub-categorised them into:
  • dance-pop/synth-pop artists= Sigrid, Anne-Marie, Dua Lipa
  • female DJs= Nina Kraviz, Rezz
  • duos of female dance artists= Krewella, Nervo

After finding images of a variety of dance artists, I began to spot similarities in their brands and styles, representing the aesthetic of the female dance genre overall. I noticed the particularly importance of the use of colour in making every artist as bold and unique as the next. Neon and pastel colours were experimented with either the artists using them for their hair colour or being used in lighting or in the background of stills. As I looked into the artists' digital identities, this use of colour was repeated in stills and music videos which makes their audience perceive them as bright individuals who will make the audience dance all night long.

As well as looking in their looks and aesthetics, I investigated into what values, attitudes and beliefs the artists promoted publicly. Most of these circulated around the idea of a female artist being marketed for in a patriarchal society and male-dominated industry.

Due to the influence of the artist's values, attitudes and beliefs onto their audience/fans I plan for my artist to promote feminist values of equality and the end to sexual harassment, particularly through the influence of the #MeToo campaign. These sorts of issues are very current in the media cycle, with too many of the cases of misconduct having taken place behind closed doors in large patriarchal industries. The ideas of feminism also link with my artist being represented as a strong single female artist and empowering her fans through her songs and linked music videos.


Planning & Pre-Production

Mood Board of Inspirational Style/Look= I made this mood board of inspirational style reference points to allow me to reflect on what other artists in the dance industry wear. I drew together this collection through music videos, single covers, magazine covers and live performances to allow me to understand how I want my artist to look.

After this, I plan on looking through my own wardrobe and my friends' to see what clothes I have at my disposal to create similar outfits. As is clear from the mood board, I was particularly influenced by Anne-Marie's fashion sense, particularly her fearless use of patterned items to make her stand out in addition to the styling of the power jacket (bottom right) with Dua Lipa's snake-skin black jacket and Anne-Marie's pink blazer both exuding power.



My Artist's Looks= I created these two pages of planning to visually put together my artist's main looks. I put all the costume, accessory, hair and make-up references on one board to allow me to pull together all the different elements of her style into one page. When showing these to my make-up artist, it also means that they get a feel for my whole look (rather than just my ideas for make-up) as they may have other suggestions for the make-up specifically that would go well with other elements of my look. For my second look I am also planning for my eye shadow colour to match the colour of my jacket so I'd want my make-up artist to see the colour of the clothing item before picking a make-up shade. I created two separate boards for my two looks to allow me to differentiate the clothes and colours while still maintaining my artist's overall brand identity of patterned, bold clothing choices.



No comments:

Post a Comment