My Website:

My Website:
Click to access my website

My Music Video

Sunday 21 January 2018

2. Existing adverts/campaigns I have researched and how these have influenced my ideas

There are many TV adverts, across genres, that have influenced my ideas for my own advert. Here are some examples below of adverts in a similar style to mine and with particular features that have influenced me.

Get far, fast - RAF - No Ordinary Job
  • The music sets the tone throughout and builds up, with different elements and rhythms joining as the advert progresses. It is not a recognisable song and instrumental but works very well to support the narrative rather than draw attention away from it.
  • The sound is also constructed very effectively, with diegetic sounds featuring in the individual clips that make up the montage, as well as the non-diegetic music in the background.
  • The montage has been edited very fast and the clips all feature around Ellie but are of different shot lengths, angles and offer a lot of variation. The shots are very fast and each individual one is short but this works very well to create the atmosphere of adventure that Ellie experiences everyday as a part of the RAF.
  • The protagonist never looks directly into the camera or speaks to it directly, instead being in the 3rd person with the audience looking into her lifestyle. I am inspired by this style and would like my advert to be a similar looking-glass into a protagonist's life.
  • The mise-en-scene, including lighting, costume and setting, are very realistic and used to portray Ellie's adventurous and aspirational lifestyle to the target audience.
  • This advert also featured on E4, where my advert will be shown, and demonstrates a similar active lifestyle that is one of Wave's brand values. The advert could also be skewed towards females, due to the female protagonist, as is the channel.

Face the city and protect your skin with the NEW NIVEA Urban Skin Defence & Detox range
  • In comparison, the mise-en-scene in this advert makes it original and unique with neon lighting and a more aspirational, rather than a focus on realism, like the RAF TV advert. This is portrayed through the neon lights that have trendy phrases written on them, creating a more assembled atmosphere rather than one that was already apparent. Despite this 'constructed reality' that doesn't seem very real in retrospect, the tone created reflects the aspirational lifestyle of the 'party girls.' In the portrayal of the first date, in my first advert, I instead want to keep the sense of realism to ensure that my TA know that such a happy and comfortable event (especially something like a first date, which is often portrayed as a frightening or awkward event) is also possible for them.
  • The music reinforces the tone but again doesn't detract attention from the protagonist as the lyrics themselves do not really convey meaning but may be there to make the advert enjoyable to watch as there is barely any diagetic sound from the individual clips. In contrast to this, I would like to include the diagetic sound in my adverts, to give it a sense of realism and atmosphere.
  • This advert contains 65 shots in just over one minute, with most shots lasting under one second and therefore the montage has very fast-paced montage editing. Despite this, many of the shots are similarly framed and the cuts are between similar shots, with slightly different composition. Although I like this style, I would like to fill the 30 seconds of my advert with varied shots, framed from different angles and distances to make it memorable.
  • Despite this, this advert focuses on a female protagonist and has barely any males in it, whereas I will include both male and female actors to appeal to my mixed gender audience demographic. 
  • The build-up and different parts in the beginning with her putting the cream on and end where she gets into bed create a cyclical structure which I would like to replicate in my advert, with the aspirational lifestyle and friendships demonstrated in the middle section

Vodafone - Network Guarantee
  • This advert also takes place in many different locations, mainly exterior until the end but these are gritty in their realism nor very glitzy and this style is one that I am currently thinking of aiming for, to make my advert relatable as well as aspirational. Although I will probably not use as wide a variation of locations in my advert, I would like to feature some recognisable locations of London and am particularly inspired my the shot on the bridge with the London skyline in this advert, as I would like to shoot around the London Eye.
  • In this 30 second advert, there are 24 shots with a long end card being the only one held on screen for longer, with very fast-paced editing in the rest of the advert and most shots being under one second in length
  • Although Vodafone's TA is probably mixed gender, the protagonist is male and only male actors are featured in this advert which could connote their male bias. To avoid this, I will include both male and female actors in my advert and represent them and their relationships with other people in a unique way. 
  • Their costume also establishes them as regular, relatable characters while the aspirational side of their character comes from the product being advertised.
  • The music sets the tone very well and would be recognisable to the audience. Although I would like to have a recognisable song in my advert too, I do not think I will be able to due to copyright restrictions and will instead choose my music from copyright-free songs. The instrumental song is also upbeat and sets the tone and atmosphere for the whole advert without distracting the audience from the dialogue or voiceover.
  • Meaning is conveyed through the repetition of the simple yet effective phrase "YES" as he looks at his phone in delight. Although very simple, many young people would understand the struggle of trying to get network in the middle of no where. Therefore the voiceover is only at the very beginning and end, working together with on-screen text to inform the audience about Vodafone.

No comments:

Post a Comment